Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anniversary Dinner Drama

We went to the Olive Garden tonight to celebrate my son's one-year anniversary, and no Mormons showed up ... yay!  That was a concern since they didn't seem to understand that this was just a family dinner.

In any case, we had a lovely evening.

After dinner, my son and his wife wanted to have photos taken; they were both dressed beautifully, and my husband had his camera, so we found a pretty spot and started posing for photos.  As we're focusing on the photos, my mom says in a small voice, "Somebody help me.".  I turn around, and my mom is standing with her walker in front of her and she's leaning forward precariously.  My son, standing on her right, thinks that the walker is rolling forward, which is why she is leaning forward, and I standing on the left, assume the same thing.  My son grabs the walker on his side, and I grab the walker on my side, thinking we are keeping it from rolling forward.  

As we watch, my mom is still leaning forward, and getting closer and closer to falling on her face.  None of us can comprehend why she isn't straightening out, but my husband and my son's wife are just standing there staring.  I'm sure I snapped, but I said, "D, come around behind her and hold her up."  My mom says she doesn't need to be held up and I insisted that she did.  My husband finally comes to his senses and gets behind her and holds her up ... otherwise, I'm just sure she would have fallen on her face. 

I'm just so upset that he didn't think more quickly and move more quickly.  My God!  He has an elderly grandmother that is even older than my mother, and he takes care of her sometimes.  On the other hand, his grandmother doesn't really walk and stand at all, so maybe she wouldn't get into that situation, but it upsets me to think about it.  

But I digress ... Once we got my mom standing up and being held up by my husband, I suggested she sit down in her walker, and we got her turned around and sat down.  Well, partially sat down ... half of her butt was on, and the other half was off.  I'm sure I was a bit snippy when I told her firmly to get her butt all the way on the seat.  But doggone it!  I don't understand what is wrong with people!  Why don't they think?

Half the time I feel like I'm just about the only one with a brain.  I don't like snapping orders to people, but I think they would (almost) all walk away without their heads if they weren't screwed on!

No comments:

Post a Comment