Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Crappy Day At Work

This day has been a nightmare ... two of our employees were terminated this afternoon and it was ugly. These are two young men, just turned 24 years old, twin brothers in fact. They had gone out the night before for their birthdays and had gotten drunk (they are alcoholics; both have DUI's and have come in to work smelling of alcohol in the morning). Their start time is 7:00 a.m., and they didn't make it in, and they didn't call work. They finally showed up at 9:30 a.m. One of the brothers had already been written up four times in the past year for the same thing. You'd think he'd learn his lesson, but not. And his brother had been written up a couple of times himself for the same thing. Very sad. Sad because we all like them; sad because they are alcoholics; sad because they are ruining their lives. I hope they will be okay. I hope that being fired for cause will teach them a lesson that will help them to change their lives for the better. It hurts my heart every time I think about it.

I could tell my boss was really trying to decide what to do; he knew he had to let them go but it was eating at him. He went out to lunch and came back and said: "I'm going to bring the boys in here in about 10 minutes and fire them and I want you to have their checks ready." I'm sure he saw the panic in my eyes because he said, "It's alright, you can take 30 minutes or so, but I'm letting them go in 10 minutes, and they can wait for their checks."

I had to process the termination paperwork and was being rushed by my boss. So giving me 30 minutes really wasn't any better because I really needed a lot more time than that to figure out the calculations. Plus I also had to process payroll today as well. And payroll was being a problem because I was getting system errors.

In the meantime, I had shop emergencies (the men couldn't find items needed for upcoming jobs), and I had telephone interruptions, and people kept coming into the showroom (I'm the only one there doing all of these things at the same time).

Bottom line, my paperwork for the two employees is all wrong and I have to redo it tomorrow, including voiding their termination checks and re-calculating them and re-processing them. Payroll didn't go through because of the afore-mentioned system errors.

My son needed money so he kept calling me at work, and then he came in to the office to get money during all of this.

After I left work and got all the way home, I forgot if I locked up after I left the office and had to go all the way back to work to make sure (it was locked, but I didn't know and had to be sure). After all that, I missed an appointment with a friend we had planned just the night before.

Just toooooo much to deal with. My back, neck, and shoulders were pulled so tight, and I felt terrible for standing up my friend (I NEVER do things like that).

It was a horrible day, and I didn't even have my hubby to hold me and rub my shoulders after I got home.

I know that tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment